The time has come

The time has come for Minnesota to take the step forward and join other states already on the right side of history.  Our government will soon vote on whether or not it is legal to join two people of the same sex in marriage.  As the day comes closer and closer my heart moves just a little further up in my throat.  People are saying that we are going to win this fight, but I won't believe it until I see it.  It has been a long road and it wasn't an easy one.  We all fought tooth and nail to win the "NOs" in the election.  We shared stories, we cried, we laughed, we partied, we asked for donations, we had sleepless nights, we rallied, we marched the streets, we talked to our legislators....all to get here.  This fight did not start with Minnesota and it will not be over with Minnesota.  In the big picture it is the US government that will win this war for equality.   After this vote I will be able to proudly say that I am a Minnesotan, that "Minnesota Nice" that everyone talks about DOES exist, and that I was a part of something bigger than myself...bigger than our state...bigger than each LGBT individual living in MN...but equal in importance to EVERYONE living here and to the hours and hours we all spent making it happen.

“Give to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself - that is my doctrine.” 
― Thomas PaineThe Age Of Reason

“The beauty of standing up for your rights is others will see you standing and stand up as well.” 
― Cassandra Duffy

This was the rally at the capital.  Unfortunately I couldn't make it because of the snow storm, but this shows just how dedicated and passionate everyone is about winning this vote!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment