The Windy City Kicks Kelly's Ass!

One of my absolute favorite musical artists is Imogen Heap.  Not only is she an amazing singer, but the way she develops her sound is totally unique.  I always wanted to see her perform create her music on stage.  When I found out my friend Kelly had an extra ticket to see Ms. Heap in Chicago I couldn't pass it up.  Kelly and I had never gone anywhere together and had only hung out together with our group of friends.  I've always loved getting to know each one of my friends personally and what better way than traveling together.

We left Minneapolis on a Southwest flight that cost less than $75 a person...a heck of a lot better than taking the bus!!!  We barely reached cruising altitude when the pilot announced that we were making our decent.  We immediately made our way to the "L" train once we landed.  It was the weekend of Thanksgiving, so it was pretty chilly walking from the subway stop to our hotel, but we didn't mind...we were both so excited to be downtown, knowing we were going to see Imogen Heap.

We unpacked, had some dinner and got ready for the concert.  I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking when I decided to wear high heeled boots, tights, and a mini dress....did I mention, it was Thanksgiving weekend....IN CHICAGO...oh, and RAINING!  I was fine until we got to the venue and had to stand in line and brave the elements for over an hour.  The tickets were general admission and neither of us wanted to miss the chance to be right up front.  Thank God there was a Walgreens right across the street.  I bought an umbrella and huddled under it with Kelly both of us on the fast track to pneumonia.

The doors opened and we rushed in like Walmart customers on Black Friday, right up to the front of the stage.  I couldn't fight the urge to take off my soaking wet boots, so off they came.  The show was absolutely unbelievable!  That is the only word to describe one of the best shows I've ever been to.  Kelly and I talked about going to Boystown after the concert, but we were both SO tired we rode the train back to the hotel and went to bed.


SIDE NOTE:  I have only been to Chicago one other time...with two different gay friends.  We spent the weekend drinking, attending Janet Jackson's celebrity after concert party, and going to Boystown.  I was wearing horribly uncomfortable high heels and I didn't realize that when my friend told me the bar we were headed to was only a few blocks away that he meant 10 blocks.  Needless to say I didn't have much fun in Boystown and really wanted to check it out on this trip.

Back to the story.  The next morning we woke up and had planned to do the touristy stuff and check out the city.  Kelly was a wreck!  He was so sick that he couldn't even get out of bed.  He was running a fever of about 200 degrees and he looked like a zombie.  I thought maybe it would pass so we spent the morning in the hotel room watching TV.

Eventually I decided I needed to get out of the room, even if I didn't feel well myself.  It was still raining so I grabbed my umbrella and walked to Navy Pier.  It was very relaxing being there in the rain because I was pretty much the only person there.  The Windy City got the best of me when I walked back to the hotel as it continuously flipped my umbrella inside out.  I stowed it in my purse and trekked the rest of the way soaking wet.

I took a nice long shower when I returned.  Kelly was still sleeping. I remembered seeing a sushi restaurant near the hotel so I was gonna head there.  I put on my makeup, best outfit, and heels.  Kelly started to wake, I thought maybe he'd like to come with.  I sat on the end of my bed....

...next thing I know I'm waking up.  My legs hanging off the end of the bed, heels on, and a lovely indent in my face from the travel bag I was laying on.  Kelly was still sleeping.  I got up and walked down to the sushi restaurant and attempted to pick up a guy at the bar until he told me he was meeting his girlfriend for dinner.  I finished my meal with only the bartender to keep me company.

I returned to the hotel and found that Kelly was still hidden in his nest of pillows and blankets.  I grabbed my computer and started perusing the web for details on the gay bars.  If Kelly wasn't going to bring me to Boystown, I'd go there myself.  I found a couple bars having drag shows, one with a "famous" DJ (what DJ isn't famous when they're promoted by a bar/club?), and a ton of others that just advertised the hottest boys, best music,etc.  I stood up, put my heels back on, grabbed my purse, and went to the door.  I turned right around and put on my pajamas when the realization came to me that I'd have to ride the L train alone.  Though I knew that even if Kelly were with me and I'd be the one protecting him, I just couldn't find the courage to do it alone.  I climbed into bed and turned on the TV feeling defeated.

I dozed for a bit but when I came to and looked at Kelly's bed he wasn't there.  I sat straight up in bed and immediately thought he had left for Boystown without me.  Obviously the haze of just waking up had me confused.  He sauntered out of the bathroom still looking like hell, but the fact that he was walking around was enough for me to ask "Are you hungry?"  The look on his face was one of complete disgust, but he replied "starving!".

While he showered and got dressed I went back to my trusty computer, this time in search of a 24 hour eatery.  It was after 3am at this point and we didn't know the area at all.  If found a list of restaurants, the closest one being a 20 min train ride away.  Neither of us were too thrilled about the adventure ahead of us.  When we reached the stop and walked up from underground we couldn't believe it....the restaurant was closed, as in out of business.  I was glad I made a list.  We figured out where the next one was and decided we could walk there.  Through the rainy back streets of Chicago we soldiered on with only one mission in mind....food!  We walked by an all night sandwich place (which I swear I saw on a Food Network TV show) that was bursting with drunkards....PASS.  We walked by another restaurant, this one closed at 2am.....PASS.  Come to think of it, I don't even remember if we ate that night.  I think we may have given up and gone back to the hotel and to bed.

The next morning we had planned to go to the Thanksgiving parade, it was only a few blocks from the hotel.  After the endless food search the night before and the exhaustion of walking around in wet shoes all weekend, we both overslept.  We woke with enough time to pack our things and trudge to the airport.  Kelly was feeling better, but was in no real shape to be flying.

As we boarded the plane everyone was looking at us with a "please don't have the seat next to me" being prayed under their breaths.  I ignored them and found our seats.  After the crazy weekend we'd had my first thought was beverage service, I grabbed the in-flight magazine and flipped to the back page.  Imagine my excitement when I saw these words "Celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving with a drink on us." written below the cocktail menu.  Those nine little words made me forget all about the fact that I was sitting next to the plague.  As I sipped my weak drink I digressed and decided the weekend had been one of the most interesting and fun weekends I had alone with a friend.  Sure, I would have loved for Kelly to join me in my adventure, but sometimes being a lone explorer is better.

I love you Kelly and I really do hope that we have another chance to conquer the Windy City.

No comments:

Post a Comment