MN United Update

It's been a long time since I posted, but for good reason....I've been busy with Fall harvest, designing quilt patterns, and of course, volunteering for MN United.  As of today the polls are showing that we are neck and neck with the supporters of the marriage amendment.  It's nerve wrecking knowing that the vote will be SO close!  As long as we can keep the Yes's under 50% we will be the first state to defeat such an amendment!  I'm so proud to be a Minnesotan...and yes, I'm going to say that before the vote because I believe that we will defeat this amendment!

This vote (and others in other states) is just a step in the right direction...our country has a long way to go to obtain full equality for all citizens.  I will never stop fighting.  A lot of people ask why I'm SO involved as a straight person.  My answer: I do this for my friends.  I would never stand by while someone physically hurt my friend, I wouldn't keep my mouth shut if someone was verbally berating my friend, I would never expect to receive any special treatment because I'm different (some of the haters would say "better") than my friends...so why would I stand by while my friends' rights are being denied?  I want to leave behind a legacy to be proud of....I want to be part of change.

The fight against the MN marriage amendment is almost over with only 6 days till the election.  No matter what happens we still have a responsibility to our fellow humans to fight for equality.  How?  Check out the links below for ways that you can help (these are just a few of the hundreds of groups you can help):

Human Rights Campaign - http://www.hrc.org/
The Ally Coalition - http://www.theallycoalition.org/
Amnesty International - http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/lgbt-rights
Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays - http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=194&srcid=-2

P.S.  I JUST joined the Ally Coalition.  If you don't know what it is, please click the link above!


No comments:

Post a Comment