My Whirl Wind Romance

Call them hooker boots or reference Pretty Woman....I don't care, I love my designer, above the knee boots.  It was love at first sight.  A kind of love that is forbidden.

The love affair started innocently enough.  I was introduced to my boots by a friend, Kelly (you may remember him as the sickly friend from my post The Windy City Kicks Kelly's Ass!).  He was aware of my 30 Things to do Before I'm 30 list and told me about a new shoe store at MOA, Stuart Weitzman.  The name sounded vaguely familiar, but I wasn't too familiar with the designer.  I probably read about him in Vogue as I glanced through ad upon ad of things that I'd never be able to afford.  As we rounded the corner to the store, my eyes caught a glimpse of true beauty...a pair of 6" white, patent leather, platform pumps with navy accents.  I walked right up to them and without saying a word grabbed them off the shelf and turned to face my friends with wide eyes.  A salesperson immediately asked my size.


Before I knew it they were on my feet.  I pranced around the store falling deeper and deeper into the sole (pun intended) of...'looked at the price tag'...$400 SHOES! OMG, $400 SHOES.  Ok, I get it, women spend much more than this on a pair of shoes every day, but not me!  I'm not kind to my high heels (though I try to be).  I wear them to dirty clubs, scrape them on curbs, and allow discourage my gay friends from wearing them and stretching them out so I don't invest much in a pair of shoes I'm bound to wear only a hand full of time.  The most I'd ever spent on a pair of heels was $100!  $400!?!?!?!  You're out of your mind!


whimpered and whined to my friends "but they're so cute!".  Of course Ms. Kiki (aka Damian's alter ego) was the first to chime in "Girl, you HAVE to get those, they are sexy!".  She was right, even at the end of my huge, muscly calves my non-pedicured feet looked G.L.A.M...O.R....O.U.S (thanks Fergie).


Defeated by a price tag, I sat down to take off patent leather perfection.  It was then that I noticed a pair of sultry boots at the end of a counter.  They ignored the "SALE" sign that the end of a season had forced upon them and stood tall with an air of arrogance.  The short lived love affair I had with the pumps was over, I had found a new love.


I was a bit afraid of this new affection because, as I stated before, I don't have small calves so anything above the ankle proves to be a disappointment in most cases.  These over the knee boots however were made of soft leather and had a spandex-like back....perfect to form over my gams.  With a little bit of initial struggle I had them on.  Me and my boots formed a perfect union and strutted around the store like we had never known a day apart.  The boys (Kelly, Damian, and Blake) had to pick their jaws up off the floor.  The boots had won my heart and the hearts of some of my best friends...how could I say no?


The sales associate carefully wrapped them up for me in a purple box and placed them in a purple bag....it was meant to be, purple has been my favorite color since I was a little girl.  I bet you're wondering how much I spent on my whirl wind romance....to me, they are priceless but if you must know, I spent $300.  Yeah, not much different than $400, but the boots originally were $600...so there!  AND I got to mark one more thing of my list...own a pair of designer heels.

My boots and I are now living a comfortable life in small town USA.  They don't come out very often because they are snobs and only enjoy being out in the city, but that's OK, I accept that fact that they have standards.



No comments:

Post a Comment